Tuesday, August 13, 2013

S.M.I.L.E-- Spiritually. Minded. Is. Life. Eternal (Basically Abbi is Awesome) :-)

It is always so wonderful to hear how Abbi is doing from her Mission President!  Her letter this week is even more telling of how much she has grown since leaving home at the end of March.  Her first week in the MTC was eye opening to say the least, but she is thrust into an even more intimidating situation with this new transfer. 
I feel so grateful for the preparation in the MTC, with it being so short and to the point, it really is the best way to prepare for a mission, especially where Abbi is serving.  I was amazed that her first day in the MTC she was expected to teach a lesson in Tagalog. I stand even more in awe that she is now expected to teach a lesson: as a trainer, in a new (and very different) area, in a new language, Ilacano!  And she is checking all the boxes associated with success!
She truly is a wonderful example of a disciple of Christ and I can't tell you all of the blessings that I have received personally from her serving this mission.

Highlights from this week:

"Tuesday, well and everyday, we try to be exactly obedient because we know that only through obedience can we receive the fullness of blessings so why should, and would we rob ourselves by disobeying? We shouldn't!"
"I know that even though that day felt very useless, none of our efforts are wasted and that every effort expended for the Lord will be acknowledged. And I know that to be very true. "
"As we 'invest' our hours in the Lord's service, we will gain it back and so much more in the future!"


(Seriously, how did I get so lucky to have the best little sister EVER! I love being her cheerleader across the ocean!)
--

Hello Family!

I am brought to tears today by the heartfelt letters, thoughts and prayers of all of your stalwart servants of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Thank you for your faith and testimonies that make me better everyday! You are all such great examples and inspire me to be the very best that I can be. I hope to live up to the example that you all are to me.

So yes, I am on a new adventure and I am still excited to be here even though it is tough at times. As I mentioned in my last letter, Sister Enguito and I are in an open area and there are very few people to teach. Tuesday was a day for miracles; we always seem to have problems going to people's houses when they are available but I guess that's something I need to work on, is scheduling!

Tuesday, well and everyday, we try to be exactly obedient because we know that only through obedience can we receive the fullness of blessings so why should, and would we rob ourselves by disobeying? We shouldn't! So we are obedient missionaries here in San Felipe! :) But Tuesday in particular, we were out finding and we ran into a girl who's grandfather hasn't been to church on over a year (former Branch President) we taught him and through his family, we have found a huge family of members who are less-active and or part-member families. So we found two families that day to teach and we are finally able to reach our goals (or be closer to reaching our goals this week) so that is exciting!

On Friday this week, we went to one of our farthest areas to teach some new investigators we had an appointment with and then went to the Baptism at the Church to support the Elders in their 3 baptismal candidates! But after that we were 'punted' or in other words, all of the people we had planned to teach were not available or not home. So we walked around for about 3 hours talking to people and trying to find people to teach until about 8, we went to a less-active members' home but didn't have time to teach them so we just got to know them a little bit and prayed with them. I know that even though that day felt very useless, none of our efforts are wasted and that every effort expended for the Lord will be acknowledged. And I know that to be very true.

Yes, the language is still a challenge for me everyday and hearing Ilacano is like a nose bleed!! (The Filipinos say that speaking English is a nose bleed... and it's true) But I hardly understand Tagalog and hearing another dialect that sound similar to Tagalog is making me crazy haha! but I love it. I love every second of every day and I love learning Tagalog, it is very, very great to speak Tagalog and teach those loving children in their own tongue and language!

So last night I couldn't sleep, because it was COLD... yes I know, weird but any way, I lay awake thinking of the ward and the people and I just started listing off things about this area and the Philippines until I could fall asleep. I love San Felipe and I love being able to teach the gospel, as well as be a good example to my new companion!
So we have two branch missionaries who are leaving on their missions this Friday who spoke in church in Sunday, they are so great! They have worked with us everyday this last week and what a help they are to find less-actives and people to teach and then to fellowship them!

So on Sunday, that missionary service is a sacrifice but it is the greatest investment you will ever make for your life. As we 'invest' our hours in the Lord's service, we will gain it back and so much more in the future! The people here are very friendly and the area here is more middle class than San Agustin where most of the people there were less well off, I guess you could say.  I'm not sure how to explain it, but we have Barungay here (which is pave roads and streets and houses that are similar to in Amerika). But the members are just as humble and willing to serve the Lord with all their efforts and love for their Savior.

Thank you all again so very much! I hope you too have a good week, know that I feel your prayers and your love.  Know that the Lord loves you and is watching over all of us!
Spiritually. Minded. Is. Life. Eternal :) Remember to always smile!
God Bless.

Love Sister Rossberg!

No comments:

Post a Comment