Monday, May 13, 2013

Skype Sesh for Mother's Day with Sister Rossberg!

We got to Skype with Abbi on Sunday night. The time change is definitely interesting, it was about 11pm our time (12 noonish her time) when we finally got a hold of her.   She seemed to be in shock a little bit since she has been there less than a week and everything is still so new.  Things like the traffic laws (or lack thereof), and her being the only American around, adjusting to the heat and humidity, or speaking Tagalog, are all fun little adventures she gets to deal with every day!  She said that all of the kids ask her if she's famous, and the people are so loving and willing to share everything that they have with the missionaries.  Their branch has about 100 members, and there are so many people that they are teaching again and doing a lot of re-activation work with the members there.  It must be pretty successful because she has 4 baptisms on Saturday, 3 of which are young kids who were too young to be baptized with their families when they joined.  It is a great opportunity to teach these families again.
-Sharna

Highlights of the week:
"We almost always have a dinner appointment and I am trying everything.. I ate squid, octopus, and sardines, and some other foods that I didn't know and wouldn't dare ask. (For those of you that don't know, I hate fish and I will not eat sea food.. ask my mom)"
"Take care. Be safe. And make good choices."

 
Maganda Umaga po (Beautiful Morning)! From the Philippines!  Hello Family, I am finally here in the Philippines and I have my assigned area and my companion! I am assigned to the San Augustin Branch in the Iba Zone. There are two sets of missionaries for each branch and the other sisters that are also in my branch are super great I love them so much! The Members here are so friendly and are willing to give you all that they have. We almost always have a dinner appointment and I am trying everything.. I ate squid, octopus, and sardines, and some other foods that I didn't know and wouldn't dare ask. (For those of you that don't know, I hate fish and I will not eat sea food.. ask my mom) So that was a big step for me! One more comment on food, I have eaten rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner since I've been here, except last night! It was a Nanay's birthday so we had spaghetti!!

Every time we go out to proselyte, we have a member with us so that is really cool, I'm not sure if that is normal but I think it's pretty awesome! The active members here are very strong and the less active families have strong testimonies but are just struggling. It is interesting to me to see that a lot of out investigators are 9 or 10 years old and their families are inactive so they were not baptized at 8. Teaching them opens new opportunity to teach their families. These kids are so smart bright, and eager to learn about the gospel. I am so excited for 3 of these young kids to be baptized this coming Saturday, as well as an Brother who is 25.  Seeing them learn and grow in the gospel is so cool!!!

I am slow to understand the people and the language, my Tagalog is getting a little better but my English is getting worse :)
I am so so grateful and humbled to be here in the Philippines at this time.

Well, I ran out of time to email because it's Mothers Day, but I hope you all had a Happy Mothers day! I love all of you and I especially love all the mothers out there and for everything you do for us mga anak (children) I can tell you that we are truly grateful.. well at least I am. Take care. Be safe. And make good choices.
Pasensyia (Patience) for the short email but Thank you for your love and support!

Sister Rossberg

No comments:

Post a Comment